Monday, November 6, 2006

Hoo Kee Rice Dumplings: Great Bak Changs! Amoy Street Food Centre 4 of 5



Don't play play, OK? (Don't take it lightly) The sign in front of this shop proclaims that you should call up to reserve your Bak Chang if you want to avoid dissappointment! Phwa, some forummers (tiantianchi) even claim that this store IS the icon for Amoy Street Food Centre! Others (superfinefeline) proclaim it their most favourite Bak Chang! I am beginning to feel that I have had a deprived childhood. How come there is such a good thing and I have not known about it?



I took heed of the warnings and had my friend buy the Bak Chang for me in the morning because I don't like to be dissappointed (Very Kiasu - afraid to lose out). But I was fortunate that on that fateful day, Uncle still had a few left to pose for this picture (Fated). Looks like any Bak Chang I had seen before. Could it really be THAT good?



Please bear with me while I rave.

After the first mouthful of the glutinous rice, I was already shaking my head and wondering what they actually put inside this that makes all your tastebuds come alive. It is seriously very very Pang (savoury). And the good thing is that they used only lean pork with no trace of pork fat at all! Unlike some Bak Changs I have tasted, where some glutinous rice portions are chewy and tasteless, in this Bak Chang, all the glutinous rice is nicely flavoured, soft and moist. You will finish the whole thing, trust me. The chestnuts are done so well that each one is soft, sweet and powdry and I mean each and every one! I am in Bak Chang Heaven!

The Bak Changs come in 3 flavours: Chestnut, Chestnut with Salted Egg, Chestnut with dried Mushrooms. If you have no cholesterol problem, you must try the salted egg version. I actually brought the Bak Changs home to eat because we were eating from quite a few stalls at the Food Centre. So I was quite full when I got home. I opened one for ieatprincess to try and ended up opening up all three and eating almost half of each! That was how good it was!

Conclusion

Best Bak Chang I have ever eaten! 4.75/5


Hoo Kee Rice Dumpling
Amoy Street Food Centre #01-18
62211155

Open 8am until sold out (usually by lunchtime)

Closed Sundays
You really need be Kiasu and call ahead to reserve to avoid dissppointment

12 comments:

tigerfish said...

Heelo, I know I'm commenting on an old post but I can't help it when I saw the Ho Kee Dumplings pix on the left-hand side of your blog...then after I click on it, started to salivate because Ho Kee is my mum's fav. dumpling stall. She would buy during "Tuan Wu Jie" (Dumpling Festival) and even on any particular occasions. We will then have it for breakfast. Did you eat with the chilli sauce ?

Mark said...

I just had a chestnut ($1.70) and a salted egg with chestnut ($2.30).

I guess I loved the chestnut 1 more than the salted egg...

Leslie, you are right ! resistance is futile ! I bought 2 , thinking I could have 1 for break fast and 1 for morning tea...

The dumplings were very fragrant !

On another note, I guess Amoy St Hawker Centre is a "refuge" for the office workers in that area..

Personally, I ve found the Teoh Heng Porridge stall there not bad .. he sells out by lunch...

There s also this Muffin Stall, Bake_Of at the 2nd level, that chap sells out before 12 !
I personally love his blueberry muffins because the melted blueberries just ooze out !
The coffee and walnut muffin is also good !

Mark (zanzoo@hotmail.com)

Anonymous said...

No doubt about the taste etc but I find it quite expensive..:)

Sharon Tan said...

This store's bah chang is the BEST!!! I never liked bah chang when I was growing up. You know, oily and greasy. But this one is different. The flavour is superb and one is always not enough. I've long heard about this store from my food-die-hard friends. So decided to try and have been their fan since then. I once had it for dinner everyday for a whole week!! That's how good it is. MUST TRY!

And yes, you've to book early. From experience, at least 1 day in advance. Think you can just turn up and try your luck. Forget it! You'll be in for a disappointment.

TPA said...

Besides Bah Chang, any other flavours?? Nonya or Kee Chang?
Now almost dumpling festival... need to order a few more days in advance?? hmmm.... cant wait *yum yum*

ieat said...

You don't really need other flavours! Try one and you will see what we are trying to tell you.

The Dictator said...

i think u can forget abt booking it. To book dumpling from this stall for dumpling festival, please book at least 3 months in advance. best is 6 months.

My family almost begged him to allow us booked when we went there 3 months in advance

better bak chang said...

i've never had this, but seeing as it has scored better against Hiong Kee Dumplings at Hong Lim Food Centre, i have to give it a try someday!

personally for me Hiong Kee's are THE HOLY BAK CHANG. seriously, the chilli powder they provide is unique and unmatched (i've yet to come across a similar version), and should be featured in the blog post! :D

Anonymous said...

Being a bak chang fanatic, I've followed your recommendations and tried Hoo Kee since your post.

Initially, it was really great, truely best in Singapore, but this feeling only lasted till end of last year.....

I notice since nearing end of last year, quality has gone downhill. The glutinous rice is far too sticky and mushy.

It was not till one early morning visit that I realised, they precook the glutinous rice, most prob overnight, before wrapping the dumpling in the morning. This is a faster way for production, but I do not think this is the right way, as the glutinous rice will become too sticky.

I am disappointed that the stall owner has taken to this route to boost his production while sacrificing his quality.

I am going to give the stall another chance and try his dumpling again, if quality is still not up to standard, I will not be purchasing from this stall anymore.

Anonymous said...

So, Mr or Ms who commented on 13-Jan-08... Have you tried Hoo Kee dumpling again? What's the verdict? Is it still any good... Do let us know. Cheers ;o)

chin said...

how? can just go there and buy or not? or still must order? leychey sey

taukwa said...

yup, quite leychey. But since they really don't make too many, freshness is ensured.

Better to give them a call first, but sometimes they do have some remainder.

Post a Comment