Sunday, September 2, 2007

YY Kafei Dian: Authentic Hainanese Fare?



I really don't know why Hainanese Food has such an effect on me. I am not sure if it is the nostalgia attached to it since I have so many fond memories of old Hainanese Coffee Houses like Silver Spoon and Cairnhill Steakhouse. Many Hainanese men worked on "Ang Moh" ships where they learnt how to cook western dishes. When they arrived in Singapore, they modified their cooking to suit our local tastes. If you think that fusion cuisine is a modern phenomenon, then you should really consider Hainanese style food and think again.



Don't you think that Hainanese Pork Chops is fusion cuisine? Essentially it is a Pork Schnitzel seasoned to suit local tastes and served with Pototo Chips and Peas. I am a big fan of Hainanese Pork Chops. So much so that there is even a special label for this particular dish. One of our readers, jcys, alerted me to this particular one which he described as "old fashioned killer" pork chops.

What I like about the pork chops is that instead of bread crumbs they still use the crushed up "Jacobs" Cream Crackers for the crust which is how it is done traditionally. This really makes the crust just that much more crispy. The other thing I like is that instead of using Pork Loin, they use the Pork Neck (I think) which is the same cut used for Sweet and Sour Pork (Ku Rou Yoke). This cut of meat tends to be more juicy, chewy and flavoursome. So overall, I would say this is one Pork Chop that you'd need to add to your list of must trys. 4.25/5

The Hainanese Chap Chye here is good but still pales in comparison with my all time favourite over at Chin Chin. It did not have enough of the cuttlefish flavour which I really enjoy. 3.75/5



The Chicken Rice here is pretty standard for Chicken Rice nowadays. The chicken is soft and succulent even though they cook it till the marrow is dark red color. That really gives more assurance that I will not be getting salmonella poisoning after eating it. (Yeah, Doctors think like that) As you can see from the picture, they are able to cook the chicken such that there is a nice layer of gelatine under the skin which is a real plus point for me. The rice is good but nothing much to rave about. 4/5



One of the dishes which we were pleasantly delighted with was the Crispy Sotong. The batter has a very nice spicy vanilla flavour to it that reminded me of cereal prawns. It goes really well with the plain Chicken Rice. 4.5/5



Although YY Kafei Dian is probably most famous for these Soft Kaya Buns, there are other traditional Hainanese Desserts that they serve on weekends that we did not get to try. One is the Arh Buah which is similar to the more familiar Muah Chee. Guess I have to make a return trip for this.

The buns are all baked on the premises and are super soft. I think that for these type of buns, one really goes for the texture. I found the buns was rather plain and the crust too light and dry for me. It was not the savoury buttery style buns like Chin Mei Chin or Gideon. Amagada really loved it though. 4/5

Conclusion

It was a great after Church lunch for the extended family. We all had chicken rice, several dishes and finished it off with Kopi and Kaya buns and still had change for $50. When I was there I spied that they had a Hainanese Kong Bak which looked like quite a killer dish, (in more ways than one) and one of the guys in the adjacent table was raving about it. So looks we'll be back one of these days.

YY Kafei Dian
37 Beach Road #01-01

8am to 10.30pm Daily

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silver Spoon! I remember the name but I've totally forgotten where it was located.

//J

liverpool1965 said...

Silver Spoon, used to be at corner of Park Mall?

TAG said...

Silver spoon is located in then Robina House aka Park mall.

I saw the photo of the so called "old fashioned killer" prok chops and strongly disagree with that that title, if you look back at the archives photos of ieat previous postings on pork chops by the institutional hainanese establishments you would find quite a few essentials ingredients missing in this photo. Being a haianese boy who grew up eating pork chops since kindergardens days, I have to defend the integrity of this dish.

I would request i-eat to put the cuurent photot of yy coffee shop and the previous photo of yet con pork chop side by side and the pictures would speak for itself.

The picture of yy coffeeshop pork chop looks like it has only 4 ingredients,
1) Pork chop
2) Shoestring french fries
3) Tomato based sweet and sour sauce
4) Corriander leaf??

Whereas the yet con pork chop has the following ingredients,
1) Pork Chops
2) Freshly cut fried potatoes (not from a frozen pack)
3) Diced fresh onions
4) Diced Fresh tomatoes
5) Canned green peas/fresh peas
6) Tomato Based sweet and sour sauce

Corriander was NEVER a option! as a garnish or otherwise.

I am not here to dent ieat reputation but just to defend 1 of my favourite dish. Think he would be as passionate as me when it comes to telling people his favourite teochew dish, true or not ah hia??



TAG

zhouzi said...

liverpool1965, your memory is good but it should be left side of Supreme House(those days).
ieat, authentic hainanese pork chop uses crushed cream crackers. Learnt this from a Pek Leh chef who used to run a stall in Pitt Street/Larut Road aka Sungei Rd.

ieat said...

Yes, that was what I meant. I realised it did not come out in the article that well so I have edited it. My mother in law is Hainanese and she always uses cream crackers to make her pork chops!

I guess the diff between Yet Con and YY is that YY uses cream crackers but I think Yet Con does not. At least I did not think they did. Maybe someone can confirm? Personally, I still think Yet Con one is the best. I think my ratings reflect that.

Sonicstarburst said...

How do we join you on these makan jaunts - especially for Hainanese makan? A must try in Mooi Chin Palace's pork chop. Think they are at Golden Landmark Hotel. Not your usual tomato based sauce.

ieat said...

Hi Sonicstarburst,

Write to me at leslie.tay@gmail.com

This Mooi Chin Palace Pork Chop really die die must try? You putting your head on the chopping board?

Damien said...

Mooi Chin's Sambal Pomfret and Mutton Soup apart from their pork chops are great.

Brings back nostalgic memories when dining there as this was the first place i brought my mum out for dinner when i got my first paycheck :)

zhouzi said...

Not fair damien, you beat me to it. While there, ieat, you may want to try the cow's tongue. Heard it is good, will you let us know if it is licking good? heeheehee.

Wenn said...

yummy!i love YY toast!!and their coffee.......and their chicken!
hungry already.....argh.....

jcys said...

hi all,

I will not dispute about Tag's justification for YetCon's pork chops, nor forget their famous babi pangan but the o/all food standards of YetC have been diminishing since yester year so much so that the Hainanese hardly patronise anymore. As for Mooi Chin's pork chops, the gravy is very akin to that used with chicken chop albeit on the costly side. For a respectable all rounder, i would highly recommend Thien Kee Golden Mile Hainanese steamboat, located at the basement of Golden Mile tower - chicken rice, hainanese pork chops & pork satay.

Chocolate Reindeer said...

Hi Leslie,

It was lovely meeting you finally. I've always enjoyed your blog, and I have linked your blog in mine. http://lex-mercatoria.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Now I remember :D

Singers has changed so much sometimes I forget where things and places use to be :(

Chin Chin definitely still is great for the pork chops though :)

//J

Zich said...

Standard of their chicken rice somewhat dropped. I'm convinced to try Chin Chin or Yet Con whenever I drop by Purvis ... no wait, leave Yet Con out; their price is too steep.

Post a Comment