Thursday, January 31, 2008

Kwong Satay: Satay with Hokkien Mee, my favourite combination!



This next entry is very risky. Let me explain.

First this satay is relatively unknown. Unlike those famous stalls that a lot of people can attest to, this one I am basing only on my taste buds. Secondly, the satay it is not even made by the stallowner but it is actually sourced from a supplier. So why is it even here in the blog?

Because I do enjoy it and it is situated just beside one of my regular Hokkien Mee haunts. Best thing is that they sell pork satay which is increasingly hard to find. The meat is tender and it is on the sweetish side which I like. The spices of the marinade is fragrant and the citrus punch of the lemongrass is evident. 4/5

For me, the things that I most look forward to eating when I am overseas is, undisputedly, the combination of Hokkien Mee and Satay. I guess it has something to do with my childhood days in Toa Payoh Lor 8 when I would go down to the coffeeshop to buy these two items and then come home to share with my two brothers. Those were the days when the hawker stalls were at the front of the coffeeshop rather than at the back which is very conducive for learning how to prepare hawker dishes like Hokkien Mee. There was never enough to feed 3 hungry boys, so I was always left with the longing for more.

Talking about combinations, the other combination that I really enjoy is Prawn Mee Soup and Ngoh Hiang and of course Laksa with Steamed Chicken. So what other hawker fare combinations do you all enjoy?

Conclusion

Pork Satay and Hokkien Mee combination! Yummm....


Kwong Satay
396 East Coast Road

12pm to 9pm

Closed on Mondays




PS: After being prompted by an anonymous reader I began to do some research on Kwong Satay and realised that actually they are quite an establishment! I am glad that there is supplier of Hainanese style satay which is of a commendable standard. More info can be found on their website www.kwongsatay.com.sg. Found out that they actually use pandan leaves to wrap their ketupat. Must try next time!


22 comments:

Blur Ting said...

My kids like Char Kway Teow with Orh Luak combi.

Hokkien mee and orh luak combi's good too.

sumosumo said...

i like popiah with anything... haha..

Anonymous said...

If I'm not wrong, this is probably branched from the famous (at least to me) Yummy King Taxi category champion Kwong Satay from 549 Geylang Rd (Near Lor 29). Its the coffeeshop next to the mosque at the entrance of Lor29. There's also a very good Hokkien Mee in this coffeeshop that has perpetually long queues. I understand that they used charcoal fire to fry the noodles.

Kwong states that the supply fresh satay to food sellers so maybe thats how this East Coast stall comes about?

Endruu said...

Lol, Hokkien Mee with Satay, not my kinda thing though...then again, this opinion is coming from a guy who used to think french fries dipped in ice cream was a really good idea back when he was 5 yrs old(1+1=2,Junk food+Junk food = More Junk Food...what could go wrong right???).

I do agree with Sumosumo though I think Popiah is a good combo or "something extra to the table" dish when eating at a hawker store, not too filling like carrot cake, not too tiny like dim sum. =)

Andrew

Koala Bear said...

I don't usually have preference (love food too much to have preference ;P) but my dad loves chicken rice with mee rubus and chicken rice with laksa.

Uncle Dee said...

I know little about the Satay/Hokkien Mee combination, in which I think it is greasily hideous, but I do have a recommendation for Hokkien Mee which I think you must try.

It is at a coffee shop opposite chomp chomp at serangoon gardens where they serve the mee with a really fragrant stock with the most amazing lard bits which aren't oily at all. Along with that, is a bright orange belachan with perfect acidity and burn. The thing about most hokkien mee which I really hate is that they are filled with burnt flakes of god-knows-what, if you agree with me then I can assure you that this stall serves you the cleanest and probably the most enjoyable Hokkien Mee Singapore has to offer.

Cheers :)

ieat said...

UncleDee, there are several coffeeshops there, which one are you referring to?

Came across Kwong Satay today while browsing in the bookshop. Actually the Anonymous commenter is right. Kwong Satay is supposed to have a 20 year history and quite power. So my tastebuds have not fail me after all!

liverpool1965 said...

Orh Luak and satay combi works for me....:)

mimosa.shy said...

Agree about the scarcity of pork satay. One good place is a stall at clementi central hawker centre. Always long queue when business starts at 5 plus pm.

Endruu said...

Oh!!!

K well it's not really a hawker combo...I used to work at Black Angus at One Fullerton and normally when the chef makes Cream of Tomato for soup of the day, I'd grab myself a few pieces of you tiao(fried fritters!!!) and dip into the soup...really nice combo if u ask me...beats toasted bread any day =)

Andrew

Anonymous said...

Doc, ever tried Lor Mee with You Tiao? Crispy savoury dough sticks meets gooey savoury sauce. Best combination for each other so far.

Anonymous said...

My favourite hawker food combo has to be Pork Porridge with Orh Luak, which I will always get from Fengshan market in Bedok i have any need for comfort food. The mild sweetness and the lightness of the porridge coupled with the intense flavours of the orh luak works great! And the porridge serves to dilute the greasiness of the accompanying 'side dish'.

I think rojak works with chicken chop / cutlet too.

Jan

ieat said...

Pork Porridge and Orh Luak sounds pretty interesting!

Oi Lin said...

When I go to the Bukit Timah Food Centre, I always buy the Tiong Bahru Chicken Porridge and the satay from the stall located at the 'outskirts' of the centre (can't remember the name of the stall). A weird combination but Yum!

mimosa.shy said...

Used to eat Tai Hwa mee pok tah with the braised duck from its neighbouring stall.

And Beach road prawn noodles with assorted deep fried ngoh hiang.

Guess location is a factor for pairing

=)

Anonymous said...

Kwang Satay is started by Kwang himself and his mother, and he sokd satay at this Lor 29 stall for a very long time till he decided to manufacture the satay and sell it thru 3rd party. He is now the towkay.

The current Lor 29 stall is run by Sim, I think, who was Kwang's assistant at the stall when Kwang was still selling satay there with his wife. Sim took over the stall from Kwang when the latter becomes the manufacturer.

sumosumo said...

There is a popular Pork satay stall at Bedok Nth Ave 4 hawker centre. the HC next to the Bedok Police Station.

Sorry i dont hv the exact stall number, but it faces the bus stop on the main road, in the row parallel to the 2 famos bak chor mee stalls which are side by side at the front row.

seems like pretty decent pork satay to me. have yet to try a "wow" factor pork satay yet.

smart said...

I agree with Sumosumo. We always ordered the pork satay with the famous bak chor mee, great combination.His satay gravy darn shiok with pineapple.Both stalls opens around 5 to 5.30pm

sohcool said...

I like peanut porridge poured over fried mee hoon for breakfast. Or prawn mee hoon soup with banana leaf nasi lemak.

The first mix may gross out some people but the taste is unique. Oh, I miss the ones in that burnt AMK market.

sumosumo said...

smart - yeah. its getting difficult to find chinese pork satay with the pineapple/satay gravy combination anymore....

Anonymous said...

Hey just wanna confirm this kwong satay has 3 outlets isit?

One at Geylang, another at east coast and another at bukit batok?

Anonymous said...

Hi all

Kwong Satay really the BEST around. They have a factory in Bukit Batok and they supply to many other coffee shops, food court, country clubs, and etc...

They dun do big advertisement on tv or whatever BUT their satay is the most tip-top in Singapore.

My friend reccomanded Kwong Satay to me maybe their main ad is through word-of-mouth.

Their website is www.kwongsatay.com.sg

Post a Comment