Sunday, April 12, 2009

Simon Road Oyster Omelette: Crispy or Sticky?

With Wahcow


One of the things that I realise when I was in Penang was how much the Singapore coffeeshop scene has changed. In Penang you get to see what our coffeeshops were like back in the 70's and 80's. In those days, the hawker stalls were still placed at the front of the coffeeshops so that customers can just walk along the outside of the coffeeshop to see what is being offered. Another thing I noticed is that the individual stalls in Penang don't have their own names. It was simply "beef kway teow" or "char kway teow" and the way to identify them was to mention the name of the coffeeshop. I can't remember if that is also the case for Singapore. Does anyone remember?

Anyway, if you want to see what coffeeshops were like in the old days, here is one which hasn't changed for the last 30 years. There are three stalls here and they are all pretty good. I have already mentioned the Hokkien Mee in my last post. So in this post I just wanted to post pictures of the other two stalls here.



The Oyster Omelette here is very popular and this uncle still adheres to the Oyster Omelette credo of "Really hot pan with lots of good lard" (Teochew: Jiak Tia Gao Lar). If your doctor has warned you about your cholesterol levels, then you shouldn't continue reading this post.

Oyster Omelette is one of those things that should be very difficult to get wrong. I mean, fried eggs in lots of oil is a very simple and tasty combination which we often take for granted until we are out camping. Trust me, a good fried egg is a godsend during reservist training when you are somewhere in Neo Tew in the middle of the night after having to eat combat rations.

And yet, some hawkers can still get it dreadfully wrong when they don't get the consistency of the starch right. A good oyster omelette should be nice and crispy on the outside but still sticky with a good amount of well fried eggs. It really is one of those things that you can do at home and still come out pretty good. If you don't believe me, you could try it at home yourself. All you need is a packet of sweet potato starch, a few eggs, fish sauce and oysters or any other seafood like prawns. Just add water to the pototo starch and test fry some in a hot pan until you get the right consistency. Once you have the right consistency, pour some into the hot pan, add the eggs and then add the seafood. Dash of fishsauce, chopped cilantro on top and voila, a great omelette and it doesn't have to be overly oily.

But if you are the type who can't fry an egg, then you can go to this stall and let this uncle fry one for you. As I said, he is still very old school, so you can watch your omelette being "deep fried" with lot of oil. The end product is a crispy oyster omelette which is sinfully good. Well, it would have been better if the uncle wasn't so enthusiastic about frying it to a crisp. I was told later that the plate we had was a little overfried and that usually it would have sticky gooey bits. But hey if you like it crisp, this one is for you. I would give it 4/5 for the dish I had that day, but I am confident that it would get a higher rating when I come back the next time and tell the uncle not to overdo the crispy bit.



Just a quick mention about the satay and chicken wing stall here. The satay is alright and I am always grateful for any satay when I eat Hokkien Mee. The chicken wing on the other hand is actually better than average. Not the best but worthy of mention. The taste is a little unique and it is not overly heavy on the five spice powder. I would order this again. 4/5

Conclusion

Traditional little coffeeshop where you still get to see the hawkers frying their stuff on the outside. With a Hokkien Mee, Oyster Omelette and a Satay stall, it would almost seem that it is a coffeeshop designed to be a supper place. Definitely a place to put on your supper list.

Oyster Omelette
Nam Heng Restaurant
Corner of Simon Road and Upper Serangoon Road
Open in the evenings till around 10pm

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

wahhh! Shiok.. Looks nice. I love this dish.. but nowadays the few rare times I touch the oysters are purely accidental.. I got fd poisoning once eating this dish at a market stall & had to get a jab.. ever since never dare to try.. maybe I should go visit this uncle's store..

Erm.. since u're a doc, are there a lot of fd poisoning cases in singapore? Maybe as compared to 2yrs ago? =) yoda

ieat said...

I think it is much the same, but lately there has been more media attention.

rat said...

try the orh lauk at Kallang Leisure Park Foodcourt at level 2.. I believe it is the best I ever tasted in sg> make sure the one cooking is the guy..not the auntie...auntie cook a little ngeow and taste not so shiok...but if the boss,i think, does it...amazing.. Cannot believe the best orh jian is found in foodcourt..

wahcow said...

never seen any Orh Luak stall fries with so much "fire"...as in every plate you will see him finishing off with a cze char style "fire"....

its good plate of orh luak if u like it crispy....

the disciple was complaining about the quality of oysters they get these days, something like korean oysters as to the better tasting malaysian ones ?

babyliciouss said...

I found the oyster omelette by this stall way too oily for me.

actually after trying so many oyster omelettes, i still favour the oyster omelette at suntec city basement food court! omelette is nice and crisp, oysters are fresh, chili is also delicious. i like their char kuey tiao and carrot too. its definitely my fav place to go to for nice plate of oyster omelette.

Blackswan said...

I love oyster omlette & always request for less starch ....... yum yum!

Thks for sharing!

taukwa said...

Certainly looks crisp and good with plump oysters some more. Was thinking of paying a visit soon until saw "deep fried with lot of oil".

GreedyPig said...

Uncle is still there?!!! I thought he stopped frying for some reason. The stall is sometimes manned by a younger chap and of course, he doesn't do it as good as uncle does. I'm heading back here since Uncle's cooking again :D

Anonymous said...

Where to buy sweet potato starch? I saw potato starch at Fairprice. Can that be used to fry oyster omelette?

ieat said...

Yes the sweet potato starch is sort of greyish and very coarse grain. Just mix with water until you get the right consistency when you put it on a hot pan.

Anonymous said...

thanks ieat. The potato flour at Fairprice should be something different then since it is whitish. I'll try to get the sweet potato flour from the wet market.

liverpool1965 said...

taukwa, will bring a few packets of tissue to soak up the oil for you.... :)

ah quek said...

hey guys! there's 1 stall in chomp pang hawker centre selling really darn crispy orh jian..

last time used to be 1 ah pek frying with big fire.. now i think handover to his son or helper maybe? the young guy can fry a really gd plate of orh jian jus like the ah pek..

the best is not oily at all!!
opens at 5.30pm :)

acennace said...

I didn't know that the egg has to be put in later. Mom has always mix everything in a bowl and fry it in a really hot wok. I need to try this method then.

ieat said...

The great thing about the old coffeeshops is that because the stalls are out in front, you can actually see how they prepare the dish! So you get to learn how to cook the different dishes if you just spent some time observing the hawker.

Anonymous said...

I went yesterday leh...it was closed...so it closes on monday...I also went last wednesday around 10pm and the hokkien mee and Orh lark no more...That was before your review came up...
will go try again this week...

ck lam said...

This particular hawker does fried the oyster omelette very much similar to the ones in Penang, under a strong fire with good wok hei.

sumosumo said...

I'm surprised you didn't mix up the oyster omelette this time round.

Anonymous said...

I tried this place, it had the traditional feeling, the smell and taste good. But it is abit oily ..

tim said...

i live near simon road so i know this stall v well. while waiting to ta-pau the oyster omelette, i saw uncle pour 2 HUGE scoops of lard/oil into the flat wok.. the omelette was literally swimming in it. i went home, finished the omelette and never went back. i think i have not eaten orluak after witnessing this display. that was about 3 years back.

Anonymous said...

I always head to this place for night supper on weekdays. Try getting the old man for the hokkien mee to fry too. Its a good combi of hokkien mee and oyster omelette. This 2 old man rocks. Been there since the 1990s and they are still there till now.

Fatty

Anonymous said...

thanks ieat for suggesting that we try frying or luak ourselves. You are right. i tried it after that. It's an easy dish to fry. The best part is that i can determine how oily, how saltish and how crispy i want it to be. the sweet potato flour from Cold Storage is more greyish and the texture's stickier. the texture of the flour is coarser and need to be sieved for there are some other funny non-flour stuff in there. the one i bought from Fairprice is lighter in shade and not as sticky. texture is very fine and clean :)

ieat said...

Have you tried using prawns, scallops or crabmeat? Quite shiok too.

Anonymous said...

So far i've tried it with prawns. i'll try with scallops the next time. i wonder how it would taste with sotong. probably not great but i like eating sotong and may add that the next time. the crucial part is the thickness of the flour and water misture. first time i got it all wrong. it was far too diluted. after i got the hang of it, it was ok and i have been happily frying this simple but yet super yummy dish. thanks ieat for clearing my misconception that orh luak must be hard to fry well. now i'm beginning to wonder why so many hawkers cannot fry it well. it's hard to go wrong for this dish like you said.

ieat said...

You are most welcome! So glad someone actually tried it and it worked!

clara said...

Hey that's my uncle!! And i think he fries the best fried oyeters in the whole world!! =DD I once ordered a $15 plate and that's how good it is!! =DD

ieat said...

Oh really! I have to ask him about the $15 oyster omelette next time!

JugsofJugsofJugs said...

Believe it or not, I used to serve a few months of my army time in the simon road camp. The simon road HKM is famous. I liken it to manna from heaven especially when compared to the rather bland army rations from the cook house. During my time the army food was really quite poor standard: over-cooked greens; bland mutton curries; porridge like rice. I would have lost weight by army food, but as I had my fair share of chance to ta-pau the HKM, I think it balanced out. This was circa 1989-90. Gosh, the description of the fire blazing woks brings back so many yummy memories. I can even smell it now as I type. Oops, think i just drooled a pool of saliva on my keyboard...

ieat said...

Well, make sure you go down and let us know if it is still as good as 20 years ago!

Camemberu said...

Hmmm, I always thought oyster omelette was difficult to DIY too (cos so many hawkers don't get it right). Maybe now I don't have to go around hunting for best orh luak if I can make it at home!

Post a Comment