Thursday, September 27, 2007

Hooked on Heads: Hooked on everything else as well!

With ieatMama, iwatch_ueat, liverpool, PowerAunty and the PowerGang

Fish Head Curry (whole) $30

Quite a few people have written to me about Hooked on Heads, but I never quite got round to it. However, last week a series of events happened that finally brought me to this restaurant. Firstly, my friend from church emailed me about this stall raving about the Mee Siam and Har Cheong (Prawn Paste) Kai and then PowerAunty found out that ieatMama was in town and wanted to meet her. Knowing that both these ladies love fish heads and peranakan food, I finally arranged to eat here. At least I will have two experts to give their opinion on the Fish Head Curry!

I must admit that I have never been big on fish heads, but I really enjoy watching how people who love fish heads really slurp up all the fiddly jelly bits with gusto. I imagine it is like eating chicken feet or oxtail where there is a lot of effort for that bit of tasty gristle.

Anyway our two experts concur that the fish head curry was really sedap! (tasty). The curry is made with milk and coconut milk so it is not too jerlak, but still creamy and the fish was really fresh. It wasn't overly spicy so it suited me fine but for someone like Liverpool, he complained that it was too mild. If like me you are not big on Fish Head Curry, this one might get you "Hooked on Heads". 4.5/5


Mee Siam $3.80

The Mee Siam here is quite different from your normal Mee Siam. If you are a stickler for the more traditional Mee Siam, you might not take to this. However, I loved it because it had the sweetness and creaminess of the Indian version but at the same time it retained the tanginess of the more familiar Mee Siam. Both PowerAunty and ieatMama gave a resounding two thumbs up as well. 4.6/5


Mango Salad $6.80

Although there is a strong emphasis on Peranakan food, the restaurant owners has not allowed this to restrict his menu. They also offer Thai food as well as local Cze Char dishes. I was amazed at how well Thomas and wife Gina were able to juggle it all. And what I really enjoy is the way they tweak the dishes just that little bit to make it even better. Take for instance the Green Mango Salad which is a traditional Thai Dish. Aside from the crisp, tangy shredded Mango and other greens, they have also topped it off with shredded dried Cuttlefish which has been lightly toasted. The savoury flavour and chewy texture of the cuttlefish was an excellent contrast to the tangy, crunchy salad. 4.5/5


Prawn Paste Chicken $8

I have been lamenting the fact that though many places serve Prawn Paste Chicken that one can hardly taste the flavour of the prawn paste. So I am happy to report that the prawn paste chicken here is excellent. They use only mid wings here and they are marinated long enough such that the red colouring has really seeped into the flesh. Thomas also explained that they use modern fryers to deep fry the chicken instead of a wok. So with the right temperature control, the meat of the chicken is kept nice and juicy inside. One of the best Prawn Paste Chicken I have tasted. 4.5/5


Crispy Sole Fish $18

There are three versions of the Crispy Sole Fish. We had the plain one which is dipped in a Thai style green chilli sauce. This is a real visual treat and though it was executed perfectly, I found that there was a lack of ooomph in the flesh. What was interesting though is the unique garnishing which is made from thinly shredded lemongrass. I think the Garlic Fried or Thai Sweet Chilli version should taste better. 3.75/5


Banana Fritters Special $3.80

Make sure that you leave some room for desserts as they have got a nice selection here. The first I would recommend is the banana fritters which is eaten with ice cream and golden syrup. I used to have this a lot when I was living Thailand. But the version I had was simply a banana halved lengthwise and fried in a crisp batter, very similar to our Goreng Pisang. This one is a little bit different. It has a crispy golden shell on the outside and fluffy on the inside, almost like a donut with banana inside. They use Del Monte bananas here which is nice and sweet. It was both a visual and gustatory treat! 4.5/5


Mango Sticky Rice $3.80

I used to buy Mango Sticky Rice for 50 Baht (less than $2) from the roadside hawkers in Bangkok and it was one of those things that I was really hooked on. Although it seems like a simple dish, there a real art in getting the sticky rice to the right consistency and it has to have a good balance of sweet and salty. Thomas was explaining to me that they use Thai sticky rice which cooks evenly unlike those of Vietnamese origin. This is one of my all time favourite Thai desserts and I am very happy with this one. 4.5/5

Conclusion

We all had a great time in this restaurant that really exceeded our expectations. They have a nice Lunch Sampler Set for 2-4 people that features a half Curry Fish Head with a choice of other dishes for $22.80+ on weekdays which is quite good value. For those eating alone, you can get a mini set with a choice of 2 dishes for $5.80+. Everyone was so delighted that we all vowed a return visit to taste the other items on the menu.

Hooked on Heads
Tower 2, #01-01/02,

Sin Ming Plaza
6
Sin Ming Road
64554948
www.hookedonheads.com

Recommended by Rebecca and Karen

16 comments:

Your ERA Agt - Ivan said...

wah...u really know how to enjoy life hor! every time i go your blog, u eat like tons of stuff.. saw you in a picture on xiaxue's blog regarding the charity dinner and then i came to ur blog again...still look so shuai le u! muz watch your diet or else become fattie, muz exercise ok? *lolx* bless ur little leslie and little lisa grow up to become as handsome and pretty as their parents! =P

liverpool1965 said...

Don't mind having double portions of the mee siam and mango sticky rice ;), thai salad was good, just the right amount of sweetness,prawn paste chicken nice and juicy.

Wonder if they will consider having another branch in the west :)...

ieatandeat said...

Went there today to check out this place after reading about it on this blog. Ordered curry fishhead, prawn paste chicken, baby kailan and hokkien mee. Desert was bo bo cha cha and mango with glutinous rice. My views of the dishes are:

1) Curry fishhead
I am a fishhead lover. The curry sauce was tasty. However, found the fishhead to be on the small side.

2) Prawn paste chicken
Colour was good, taste also good, and they only use the centre portion of the wind, so you could eat it as an appetizer as well.

3) Baby Kailan
Found it too oily, could feel the oil oozing out in my mouth.

4) Hokkien mee
Found it too saltish, but I normally eat quite bland, so judge for yourself. I also felt that there was quite little ingredients other than the noodles.

5) Bo bo cha cha
No comments.

6) Mango with glutinous rice
Very nice! Must try!

Moo Moo said...

I too went to try it after reading your blog...

Must agree that the Fish head is nice... yes, portion is quite small.

Tried their prawn paste chicken, tasty, crispy!

Saw someone eating the hor fun and the hokkien mee... must try it next time!

Heard that in 2 weeks time, they are going to have a 30% offer or something like that!

yixian said...

Hello!

I lived like 3 bus stops away and passed the place several times but never went in because I thought it only sold fish head curry and as you can guess, I am not really a fan of fish head!

Well saw your review and decided its about time to give my family a little treat since I just started working!

The parents are quite pleasantly surprised at the value for money and quality of the food.

We had quite a few dishes..

1. Mango Salad - not too bad but don't bite into the chilli if you cannot take the spiciness

2. Homemade Crispy Tofu - a MUST try!! YOu have to try this!! Was recommended by the waitress and it IS quite good esp with the sauce.

3. Sayur Lodeh - mmm creamy curry veggies. The gravy was lapped off by the family and me.. every last drop! Should try also. Humble dish, but delicious!

4. Prawn paste chicken - dad like it as it was tender not tough

5. Garlic Crispy Sole Fish - hmm.. the fillet was lacking oomph as you said.. but my parents and sister ate the fish bone that was used to serve the fillet! They used to serve a really excellent dish similar to this at the ex Mee Kong Vietnam Restauarant at Taka, sad to say, never found a similar standard one

6. Sambal Sotong - can someone pls explain to me why it tastes like sotong in mee siam sauce?!

Oh yeah we had cheng tng, chendol (haha! it wasnt on the menu but we found out they had it after they told us no red ruby) and the mango sticky rice.

My mom was in heaven when she tasted the mango sticky rice man. She always wanted to try but never did until today and it didn't fail her taste test! Sister who loved the dish also found htis version good.

The chendol was in a small and unappetizing looking bowl was but really rich in flavour! I love a good chendol! Also they use like big red beans instead of the small kinds that are found more commonly.

Good recommendation and total bill for 6 people with drinks, white rice and dessert came up to about $98. Pretty decent. :)


PS: BTW did you check out ICEKIMO which is a homemade icecream store just nearby?

ieat said...

Glad you liked the food there! I was there again today with my family. Had the Teochew Loh Arh which is their special today. Quite shiok!

BTW check their website. Around Oct they have a one week promo where you get 30% off everything!

evielovestotravel said...

Hi!
I love your foodie blog and I went to Hooked on Heads with my husband to check out the fish head curry. Well, I thought it was a nice passable dish which could do with some brinjal.

One of the best Fish Head Curries I have ever tried was at Bottle Tree Village at Sembawang. Its rich, flavourful and full of ooooomph! The place is at a corner off Singapore. Great seaviews and Alfresco Dining. Address: 60 Jalan Mempurong Singapore 759058
Off Sembawang Road

:)

ifatfat said...

My favourite place for fish head curry is this place called Curry Gardenn at the Turf City... it's beside this wine place called 'JustWine'. It's Indian style curry (north, I think) without coconut milk, msg and best of all, the fish head curry is only cooked when you're there... so it's fresh! You can even 'personalized' it by telling the boss that you want it more sour etc.

Michael Low said...

Went there last week with the in-laws, and were pleasantly surprised to find that they were having a 30% off everything alacarte for the week. We had the fish head, prawn paste chicken and the golden tofu, plus veggie and pineapple rice. Mum in law loved everything and total bill came up to less than $40! Apparently they have this 30% off one week a month, so I left my number to be notified for the next time!

In fact it was so good, my wife and I went back again a couple of days later for lunch...

carnineviand said...

Just went there for lunch today and had the curry fish head, nonya chap chye and crispy tofu.

Unfortunately, the curry fish head turned out to be a big disappointment.

The curry itself was good -- very spicy and full of flavour.

But it was the fish head itself which made me give this dish a failing grade -- not only was it very small in size (in fact, it was the smallest I've ever had at any curry fish head stall/restaurant), but it was very overcooked.

I could have overlooked the petite size, but I cannot forgive the chef for overcooking fish.

So on the whole, this dish is not good enough to deserve a grade at all.

Next comes the chap chye. Even though this was recommended by the waitress, it was unremarkable at best. Not bad, but not good either. 3/5

Lunch was fast turning out to be a wasted affair, but all hope is not lost...

At least the crispy tofu turned out to be good.

Delightfully hot and crispy on the outside, it had a wonderfully silky soft centre that made it the one dish that everyone at the table enjoyed. It gets a well-deserved 4.5/5 grade.

So, will I go back to Hooked on Heads?

I suppose I'll probably be giving them one more chance.

For a place that's named "Hooked on Heads", it's a shame the curry fish head turned out to be the biggest disappointment.

But on my next visit, I'm gonna tell them in advance to make sure that the fish is not overcooked.

If they still can't get it right, you can bet on it that I'll be sending the dish back to the kitchen. :P

Jacelyn said...

Have you tried Baba King at Expo? If you haven’t, I would recommend you to go down and try it (:

cactuskit said...

Another recommending Baba King. I really must make my way down to try them. Neighbour keep telling me to try it. : )

ieat said...

Yes, have been told that it is quite good too! Await your report.

cactuskit said...

uncle smart lives just minutes away from Baba King. Must jio him...

Anonymous said...

I do not recommend this place. The basil chicken was too greasy and we found more chicken skin than meat in the dish - not a nice thing for them to do. I'd rather that they tried to hide the few chicken pieces with vegetables. We ordered the spring onion beef - oh so small the portion and greasy. The portions are small. The fish head was so 'skinny'. The overall deal was unsatisfying and expensive, given the portion size. Oh, have I repeated myself on the size of the portions and the greasiness of the food?

køkken69 said...

So much good food, so little... calories to spare...

Post a Comment