Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ah Hor Mee Pok Tah: Chilli and Giao Champion

With my Teochew Ah Di, Wahcow

Mee Pok Tah $3

Here's another one of those stalls that you better be quick to taste because the original hawker is already past 72 and even though he still looks like a "Lao Yankee", and behaves like one, he himself admits that at most he has 10 years of Mee Pok Tak left in him. Actually, he still looks quite good for a 72 year old. When I asked him why he wears a long sleeved shirt while he cooks his Mee Pok, he simply replied, "Cos I want to look good!"

Talking about the subject of aging, I know for most of our readers, hitting the eighth decade might still be quite a long time away. For us who are hitting middle age, it is like "Oh my, I am more than half way there, and the 2nd half is going to go quicker than the first half". I once heard a preacher (An Anglican Bishop in his 70's) say that every morning when he wakes up he goes, "Ay! I am still around!". It is almost as if after you cross the life expectancy age (78 for men, 82.8 for women), every day is a bonus. Are there anyone here that fall into this category?



Anyway, if you do have the fortune of passing the life expectancy age, then it really does give you the passport to do whatever you want, right? I mean, who cares if your Doctor tells you to stop smoking? "Ay, Doc, been smoking for 50 years and my bus still arrive at the interchange. You asking me to stop now?" Well, if you are in that category, then when it comes to food, I guess you can also just indulge in a bit of Mee Pok Tar which has a chilli made with good old Pork Lard.



Mr Liang proudly tells me that his chilli is made from Pork Lard, Buah Keluak, Hae Bee and Dried Chilli. For a person who always orders Mee Pok Tar mai Hiam (no chilli), I can tell you that this is one stall that I would ask for extra chilli. You see the main problem I have with Chilli is that most stalls just want to make their chilli hot hot. However, the chilli here is not overly spicy but the flavour is oh so addictive that you can just sit there and just pick on it with your chopsticks.

The other "champion" item is the Fish Dumplings (Her Giao) which Mr Liang still proudly makes himself. The slightly gooey texture of the meat filling is very good and it is one of the most memorable Her Giao that I have had.

Too bad the Mee Pok itself was not as QQ as I would like it to be. Otherwise it would have scored a higher rating. 4.25/5

Conclusion

Very good bowl of Mee Pok Tar and you get quite a big bowl for $3! Do yourself a favour and order a bowl of Giao Soup and try the chilli especially if you are the type who don't usually take chilli. It might just make you change your mind.


Mr Liang, 72 and still wants to look good!

Ah Hor Teochew Kway Teow Mee
12 Verdun Road
Bet Sam Leong and Syed Alwi Roads
7am to 4pm
Wed closed
81274249
Mr Liang
Recommended by ice. Read her review here

27 comments:

khim said...

i never like mee pok.. got mee kia or not?

e generous amt of ti por makes me drool!! e chilli look so tempting tat even me, who seldom take chilli will confirm try it! =)

wahcow said...

actually, his portion of noodles is rather big.... the mee pok tah is not really my taste but the chilli and fish giao is really something

went back last week, ordered a bowl of fish giao and asked for a small plate of oh-so-special buah keluak chilli.. like ieat said, i was picking on it with my chopsticks till its all gone

moohahahahahah....shioked out

khim said...

OoOo.. big portion? =p good for me! wah.. i must really try tis soon!!

jessiestars said...

Wah~ I was looking all over for this stall ever since it shifted. Thank you so much for sharing this out...

Am heading back there this weekend to have my favourite noodles... (^-^)

sumosumo said...

time for a meepok tah degustation. who is game? cactus, wacow, les?

i went to the jln tua kong one today opposite groomworks, and its still good, and short waiting time of 5min. polished off the whole bowl. 4.25/5...

astrorainfall @ Beauty Box said...

His shirt is very flamboyant for a man of any age!

liverpool1965 said...

can check out margaret drive's mee pok too! :)

ice said...

Khim, there is mee kia. :)

Finally Les you blogged this place! You forgot to mention the $2.50 portion doesn't come with giao. Is the extra chili gratis?

ieat said...

What you mean finally? Quite fast what. Sorry forgot to acknowledge your recommendation. Will do it now.

ice said...

No need! :) Too slow...

liverpool1965 said...

hmmm must be something about mee pok uncles...the Margaret Drive FC mee pok uncle also well groomed!.oil slicked hair and a big comb behind his tight pants!

cactuskit said...

Any degustations are welcomed by me. : )

Haven't tried this. Go there sure order big bowl keh liao. Hahahah.

khim said...

hi ice! thanks! =) i will go try tis then! ^_^

Damien said...

That bowl of mee pok sure looks darn shiok!

SCS butter said...

Wah, this stall is my once a week fix. Should try the bak kut mee soup opposite this stall, but open till 2pm only.

ieat said...

Ay SCS, got this type of kang tou never tell me!

SCS butter said...

Aiyah, your lunch time 2pm mah, very difficult for me you know....

SCS butter said...

Anyway, the cze char stall from the same coffeeshop which opens at nite is pretty good too.

Food Lover said...

Hello haha I just had mee pok yesterday i think it is important the noodle is too much if not it might be a little starchy if there isn't enough ingredients to complement with.

Lovegoodfood said...

Hi....super anxious to pig it out at this place.. but where is Syed Alwi ir any nearby building or MRT station? Hopefully some kind people can enlighten me? Thanks

ieat said...

Its right next to Mustaffa's. I think there is an MRT quite close to Mustaffa's.

Shippuuden said...

how do i take bus to there from tampines?

Anonymous said...

If you are travelling by bus from Tampines, take bus 23 and alight at Kitchener Road. Walk along Kitchener Road towards Mustafa. Make a left turn to Verdun Road close to the traffic junction. For this stall you got to eat it with the chilli. That is the star of it all. Even someone who always eat noodles without chilli die die must eat this meepok with chilli and scoop the last pieces up. Very different and special chilli. Shiokers!

ieat said...

My sentiments exactly as a non-chilli lover.

Anonymous said...

Shippuuden, to be more precise, bus 23 doesn't turn into Kitchener Road. You need to alight along Jalan Besar Road at the bus stop closest to Kitchener Road.

Dr Leslie, thanks for all you recommendations. Many of them are now my favourites eg Yong Li Kway Chap, Golden City Carrot Cake, Charcoal Fried Hokkien Mee, Mei Xiang Fish Soup and Simpang Yong Tau Foo. Your photos can really make me drool with avaricious delight haha.

I'm not a chilli lover too. Eat almost everything without chilli. But for Ah Ho's fishball noodles, I eat there whenever I miss, not the noodles, but the yummy chilli!

mingming said...

how to go ar

Anonymous said...

Don't worry abt him not selling..His disciple (Women) selling at Pek kio Market...Ah Hor actually shifted thrice already,last time at albert st , then kitchener rd , den Verdun

Post a Comment