Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ah Seng Eating House: Braised Duck, Teochew Style



My dad used to braise duck when I was a kid. He still does it now occasionally. There are few things that my dad does cook and one of them is braised duck. Unfortunately, I never learnt how to braise duck from him. My cooking skills all come from mom. Maybe its time I asked him to teach me the age old Teochew tradition that has been handed down the Swatow Tay line for generations!

Anyway, as you already know, Braised Duck comes in two different styles. The Teochew style has a braising sauce which has the consistency of water while the Hokkien style sauce is thick and gooey. Being a Teochew, I guess I am obligated to say that I prefer the Teochew version. But you know, gooey loh does taste better with rice....



If you are after a nice Teochew version of Braised Duck, then this is certainly one stall that is quite popular. It is just next to the Bakery which that sells the luncheonmeat buns which I blogged about earlier and I think they are probably the same family. The braising sauce is nice and the duck is tender. Lots of people rave about it. I thought it was good enough to be included in this blog, but difficult to rave about. 4/5

Conclusion

Another place to go if you have the craving for braised duck.

Check out the other places to eat at Serangoon Way Food Centre!
Read about other places for Braised Duck.
Did you realise I have a tag specifically for Teochew stalls?

Ah Seng Braised Duck Rice
Stall No. 44 Serangoon Garden Way FC
Mon to Sat 11am to 9pm

Sunday closed

5 comments:

chaozhouzi said...

Ieat, finally you have a writeup on this stall. Why only 4/5, I thought it would be 4.25/5 at least. Was Smart/Damien there? How does this compare with the one at Tekka? Still think this is better. I have a teochew kaki who swear it is definitely better!

ieat said...

Well, maybe it is that day. I had it at around 2pm so it was a bit lack lustre. I have been wanting to try Tekka. Is the old man still there?

Actually the one which I enjoy is still Lim Seng Lee at South Buona Vista. I thought the duck there was more tender.

Anonymous said...

Finally some one noticed them!

trik-tipsblog said...

good

maxspeed@redline said...

They used to be at Lim Tua Tow road more than twenty years ago. The owner had two pretty daughters helping out at the stall then :)

The stall has been passed down to the original owner's son in law. Standard seems to have dropped. At Lim Tua Tow road, I remember, easily need to wait 30 mins.

How do I know? the Ah Seng was a family friend.

Post a Comment