Monday, January 14, 2008

Ya Kwang Dai Pai Dong: A different Cze Char Experience

With smart, liverpool, iwatch_ueat,bashful hunter, bashfully hunted, fashionfoodie, pk

Hong Shao Fish Head $18 (half) $30(whole)

Ever since smart discovered Ya Kwang, he has been eating here almost every week with his family or his group of cronies. He's commented on them so many times that I felt it was time to blog it again so that you all can understand what the fuss was all about.

Ya Kwang is about experimental Cze Char. It's owner, Jason is not your typical Cze Char hawker and for that matter not your typical Singaporean either. Rather than playing safe and selling the usual Cze Char favourites, he continues to introduce dishes that you don't commonly find in Cze Char stalls. So, a trip to Ya Kwang usually means you get to taste some of his new dishes or even invent new ones if you wish.

The dish that smart has been raving about is the Hong Shao Fish Head. If I recall, this dish started off as a curry fish head, but one of smart's cronies could not take spicy dishes, so Jason came up with the Hong Shao Fish Head instead. It's a good dish and my only complaint is that the gravy could be a little thicker and that there could be a few more pieces of Sio Bak in it. Otherwise the fish head (He uses Ang Kor Li) is very fresh and the gravy really makes you want to eat more rice (know what I mean?). 4.25/5



Another new dish is the Ti Wan Chye with deep fried crispy Bean Curd. The two elements are an interesting contrast in texture, but I did not think that the flavours synchronized that well. This one needs a little more tweaking but it was an interesting try. 3.5/5



I remember having this dish in a Teppanyaki restaurant in Sydney. Essentially its chunky pieces of ribeye beef flash fried with teriyaki sauce. Not quite novel BUT certainly not something that you normally get in a Cze Char. We felt the beef could be cut just a little thinner so that it was easier to bite. Otherwise the thicker chunkier beef was actually good because it was cooked medium so it retained a lot of the juices. 3.75/5



Of course a trip to Ya Kwang would not be complete without the signature Crab Tang Hoon which I have already written about in the my previous blog. Still good and prices are still reasonable compared to other crab bee hoon places. 4.5/5

Conclusion

There you go. A trip to Ya Kwang is always enjoyable because Jason is pretty hospitable and accommodating. So you get to order your dishes the way you want or even suggest new dishes. Not everything is die die must try, but there are some winners and some of the new dishes need tweaking. But that's the beauty of it, since you are there to experience something new and to offer feedback for further improvements. I think you can expect to hear a dissertation from smart on the Ya Kwang Cze Char experience.

Ya Kwang Dai Pai Dong
709 Geylang Road
(Lor 37)
11am to 11pm daily
98170006
Special orders before 7 pm

28 comments:

liverpool1965 said...

enjoyed the beef cubes, agree with ieat that it should have been less chunky, my fav was the penang ckt! :, somehow did not fancy the crab tang hoon, the claws could have been bruised more to allow the stock to flavour the meat..I'd go back to try the oyster omelette and kway chup!

Holy Drummer said...

How timely this post!

Brought whole family back to Ya Kwang to celebrate mum's birthday just last Wed.

For appetisers, had the pig's trotters which was excellent by my parents' standards... especially my dad - I tell you he is the most fussy when it comes to food - he was so looking forward to the 'curry' fish head but unfortunately all the 'ang kor li' sold out, left only garoupa. We vowed to return specially for the fish head.

We siblings loved the curry spiced fried chicken wings which were so addictive - ordered twice!

The two star dishes were the Brazilian ribeye which were oh-so-tender. We liked the strips of meat chunky and to the bite, exactly the way Jason did it. Uncovered gem, this one.

BUT - the real diamond is the cereal prawns! Best we've had - The prawns were like so succulent with the crunchy oats together with the whiff of buttery fragrance - KO power, perfect combo man~ What was more shocking was that Jason attempted this only ONCE before us! Must-try~

Of course, we cannot do without the perennial favourite, Crab Tang Hoon!

Same complaint: MORE TANG HOON PLEASE!!!

P.S: Jason was just sharing how maintaining standards were tough, but I say his benchmark is here to stay.

'nuff said. Two thumbs up~! =)

khim said...

oh ya.. leslie din talk abt e penang ckt hor?

ya, e penang ckt is good! wok hei is there, very pang.. but a pity i din eat it hot cos i'm still attacking e crab!! wahahaha..

pk is uncle smart's friend?

smart said...

Khim, PK is my cronies or my classmate since Pri 1. PK visited Ya Kwang as much as 2 or 3 times a week as his wife said 'great NO msg'
Yes I went to Ya Kwang 1 week later. Jason tweaked the ribeye, now smaller pc and more shoik!.
He came out with 2 diff type of fish but fried. My complain is fish shoud not be fried but serve frshly steamed.
Aways enjoyed my food n company at Ya Kwang. As usual Jason listens to your request. Less sugar, No msg, more tow kay n sotong for the CKT.

khim said...

oh i see.. ya, i was suspecting pk is ur friend as i remembered e rest of the people who were there!

i had a great time tat day! =)

great company n great food! ;)

The Dictator said...

Hong Shao Fish Head? I thought thats quite a common fish head dish?

Foodcrazzz said...

To me, without MSG in my food is a huge plus factor at Ya Kwang!Try his handmade guotiao. Jason and his staff were making them on the spot last Friday afternoon and they tasted great: fine skin, juicy meat stuffing with a good mix of vegetables. We 'taobao' back and they still tasted great.

smart said...

the Dictator, Hong Shiao fish head is common but Jason fish head is 1. Fresh 2. his cooking is different, the taste. 3. You be the judge try it yourself.

Damien said...

Am planning to celebrate a buddy's b/day two weeks from now at Ya Kwang.

Hi Uncle Martin, are there any other dishes that I die die must try apart from these:

Hong Shao Fish Head, Crab Tanghoon, Stir Fried Beef, Curried Wings and Penang CKT? Am thinking to order the Or Luak but these couple of weeks shortage of Or...

Thanks!

iwatch_ueat said...

Well, it's a blessing that I get to meet everybody there and enjoy the food. Always luv that place with a good host/cooked/entertainer. A pity! Will this be my last makan gatherings with the best of best makan kakis?

smart said...

Damien, Prawn with oyster sauce is good n pig trotter. Just call Jason and request him to come out with some good dishes.
iwatch_ueat,u decided not to eat?

SCS butter said...

Oh, I just dine @ YK on Sat, Must try the fish maw soup!!! My american liked it so much. He quoted 'This soup has the same taste as those in Louisana' Makes me wonder Louisana got chinese fish maw soup meh????

iwatch_ueat said...

Uncle Smart, NOT IN A MILLION! Luv to eat. Just waiting for someone to invite me for the next food tasting.

Cheers...

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Can we have the address of this stall? It was not mentioned in the article. Thanks!

ieat said...

Thanks for letting me know! Have updated the blog.

Mr. Anonymous said...

I went 2 weeks ago to try the dishes from the previous posts and I must say the penang Char Kway Teow has improved better than the first time I tried it. Perhaps its because he fried a bigger portion for four compared to the previous time when I had just one plate.

My friends said the curry chicken wing was good but they had better ones at Orchard Tower. I didn't know that Orchard Tower had real chickens. :p

For the signature crab tang hoon, Jason ran out of crabs that night so he dashed across the road to buy one for me. Its good that he had suppliers nearby.

I was told about the ribeye but the lady describe it as being cooked western style and I had ordered too many dishes so I didn't try it.

My friend was eying the pig trotters another customer ordered and we will be back to try that as well.

Holy Drummer said...

SCS Butter:

I totally forgot about the hee pioh soup! It was the first dish we ordered upon Jason's recommendation & we lapped it up in no time.

Chockful of crab meat and bite-sized heepioh in a tasty broth, resembling those chinese-dinner-banquet-sharks-fin-soup-without-sharks-fin, only better.

Best thing is that it was served piping. hot.

Nothing beats having hot soup on a cold evening.

smart said...

ieat_uwatch, You are a foodie and I hope to have more makan teasting with the gang including you.Do join us.
ieat & itreat, Khim n Don were with us on that day.It is great fun to share the good food with everyone.

iwatch_ueat said...

Thanks Uncle Smart. Appreciate your genuine invitation. Uncle, you can bring me along if no one else wanna join you OK? + my heart! It's from the bottom of my heart. It's always a pleasure. Tho, my fav is chocz, choz and choz but I do like to join my best makan kaki always but like I said, if permits! But the bottomline is, it all depends.... you know what I mean...

Cheers...

khim said...

hi Uncle Smart & iwatch_ueat,

i would luv to join u all plus other makan kakis if possible! if in e afternoon, just let me know early n i'll apply leave to join u all! ;)

sumosumo said...

Uncle smart - can i come too, as a first timer?

wanna meet with all the regular "viewers" here..

smart said...

Dear Sumosumo, Pls contact Dr Les via email.

Mama BoK said...

Seems like a place to not miss when i come home. :)

iwatch_ueat said...

hey, i'm back! khim, luv to sit w/you & your "ahem". sumosumo & mama bok, dun mind getting to know you too! the more, merrier eh? ok, need to check-out. gotta to study for exam.

Cheers...

chaozhouzi said...

I am surprised by all the rave reviews for this stall. My initial encounter was good but subsequent visit just after last christmas left a bad taste in my mouth literally. Had the crab tang hoon and pork trotter.
The crab tang hoon was pungent with the crab's waste as it was not cleaned properly.(This was confirmed with a chef later). The trotter had a overpowering "ter kor hian". Good thing it was a small portion.(ex at $5).
A week before, I had the same dish at Jln Berseh Food Centre(same $ but bigger portion) and my makankaki couldn't stop eating it. Mind you, he is in his 70 and had to watch his cholesterol intake.
I would hesitate to commend these two dishes.

chaozhouzi said...

Sorry, my last comment should be the same dish of pork trotter at Jln Berseh. Stall is just behind steamed herbal soups stall.

sumosumo said...

iwatch_ueat - sure, i wld like to meet up with some of the people here.... but hv yet to receive any details on the makan sessions..

iwatch_ueat said...

halo halo sumosumo, aiya.... just got back from "C". You never read Uncle Smart comment? Contact Dr Leslie lor... You not working meh? How come? I'm so jealous & very envious (coz me not working too!). Shall we go & kai kai & makan together? OK, need to study for exam. You go ctc
Dr Leslie ya! Happy makaning....

Cheers...

Post a Comment