Saturday, April 21, 2007

Jason's Fish Soup: Fish Skin anyone?

With iwatch_ueat and gubak


This is another one of those food blogs to make Westerners cringe. (Not all, of course) As is widely known, we Chinese eat anything that has legs and have their backs facing heaven. (Where does that leave snakes and monkeys?) Not only that, we eat almost every part of the animal. That's cos in poverty stricken China, its not every day that you get to kill the prized pig. So don't waste all those lovely innards yah?

Anyway, this blog is not about pigs, it is about fish. But what makes this fish soup special is that they serve fish skin as one of their specialties. Yes, I see you cringing. We both brother/sister, we both.

Me, I'm no fish skin person. But as I say, if other people like it, I am willing to at least give it a try. I was brought up thinking that the skin of the fish is the part that makes it Chor (gives it its fishy odour). I actually grew up not liking fish much because of the fishy odour. So it was already an achievement for me to start eating fish, much less eating the most fishy part of the fish!


Fish skin or Snake skin?

Truth be known , the skin actually tastes alright. It did not have that fishy odour that I was worried about. The texture was like soft pasta and was a bit slimy on the inside. Tastewise, I can't really describe. I guess it tasted like fish. The soup was good and Jason spikes his soup with a generous dash of Hua Tiao Chiu (Chinese Rice Wine) which gave it quite a kick. I arrived too late that day, so the fresh fish was sold out, but I was told by gubak that the fish is usually very fresh and the quantity generous. 4/5

Conclusion

I don't think I will specifically order the fish skin again, but the soup and the fried fish was pretty good and at $3 a bowl, I'd say its quite good value too.

Jason's Fish Soup
Golden Shoe Carpark
#03-25
10am to 3pm


Recommended by Gubak

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of the Angmo, save for a few are like what u describe. This dun dare, that dun dare.

benjamin yeo said...

hey Leslie, if you really want to try a good bowl of fish soup. I recommend the one at Marine Terrace, the coffee shop near the market "Opposite St Pats and KC"

The soup there is simply excellent.

smart said...

Dear Benjamin Yeo, Can you advice which coffee shop. is it the just renovated one.If possible pls give the address. Tks in advance.

Jean said...

I tried that dish (and the deepfried version) when I was in HK and loved it since.

Hard to find them in Aus >_<

smart said...

Dear Benjamin, Are you referring to that corner fish soup stall inside the coffee shop MP59? Tried it on Sunday. Frankly these fish soup stalls are franchise and absent owners, so quality is compromised.Try Pao Ji, Amoy, Hong Jing Geylang, Ng Soon Kee Geylang East, there is big difference.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bloggers,

anyone know where did the fish soup from Admiralty MRT foodcourt previously moved to? last heard was that they moved to somewhere in toa payoh. In my opinion, this has to be one of the best fish soup in s'pore, the soup and the chilli is awesome not to mention the very fresh fish. i really missed the chilli for dippng the fish slices.
Appreciate if anyone knows, many thks!

Angela said...

Hi Leslie, been visiting your blog for some time, some great recommendations you have here! About fish soup, I just tried a new stall at Tanjong Pagar Market second floor, called King's Fish Soup. Must say their fish is really fresh, and on good days, their chili is to die for!

Wendy said...

This stall is my fav fish soup stall out of the so many fish soup stalls in Golden Shoe. Yes, I wld think its the wine that makes the soup taste so good. Ordered during peak hrs (12-2pm) b4 and its not so good ..... would be better to go after 2pm where at least there's no quene and the soup is done properly .... Yes, followed my ex-colleague and tried the soup (usually take the non-fried fish + non-milky soup version) with ku3 gua1 .... damn shiok!!

Post a Comment