Thursday, July 19, 2007

Cafe Oliv: Three Mini Burgers, All in a Row


Burger Trio: $14.90

Now this is what I call a balanced meal. You have your Beef, your Pork and your Fish all on the one plate.

Cafe Oliv's Burger Trio is best for people who:

1. Can't make up their minds what to eat
2. Want their Burgers in manageable portions
3. Love to buy a dish to share with their friends
4. Prefer to taste different things rather than stuffing a hungry stomach

Three Burgers means three reviews, so here we go:

Starting with the Beef. This is 2 slices of tenderloin beef, with bacon, cheese and lettuce in a tennis ball sized bun. Though I love beef, tenderloin is not my favourite cut as it lacks a beefy flavour. But, I know lots of ladies who love it because it is tender and has less fat. Personally, I would prefer a nice thick hamburger pattie instead. 3.75/5


Kong Bak Burger

Next up is the Kong Bak. I actually quite like this one. The Kong Bak was braised till it is tender, well caramelised with just a hint of the five spices. The Kong Bak is much better than many of the Kong Bak from franchised Kong Bak Pau outlets. Worth spending some calories on this one. 4.25/5


Black Cod with Shitake Mushrooms

I have left the best course for last. The Teriyaki Cod Fish with Shitake Mushrooms burger is worth the trip and I wouldn't mind having all three as Cod Fish burgers. They use Canadian Black Cod here so the flesh is oily and smooth and it was fried till there was a crust of caramel on the flesh. It was really juicy and the combination of the Shitake, Teriyaki sauce and salad really worked. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind a full sized Cod Fish Burger! 4.5/5

Conclusion

The concept of the mini burger has been tried elsewhere but I think this is the first time that it has come in three different flavors. Personally it would have been perfect if they provided a juicy burger pattie instead of tenderloin, but I think the tenderloin would appeal to a lot of ladies out there.

Cafe Oliv
220 East Coast Road
63443114
11.30am to 12mn daily
Sunday: 8am to 12mn

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I enquire about the price of this burger set?

ieat said...

It's $14.90. It is in the blog. Below the first pic

Anonymous said...

seems like fusion is getting a trend following now

ladyironchef said...

haha! i also didn't see the price until u pointed it out that it was below the first picture

Bashful Hunter said...

I was about to go to Cafe Cartel nearby with my family and remember this post.

Decided to give it a try. Very nice food and reasonable prices too. 2 months old, I think it will be around for a while.

Highly recommended.

Theresa said...

I've eaten at Cafe Oliv today and apparently, they have just started a student promotion that gives student the privilege of 20% off the bill when you show your student card. I was given 20% off my bill even for the set lunch ($10.90) I have ordered. It's not explicitly shown anywhere but I was told about it when I went to eat in my uniform with my friends. The boss kinda told me to tell my other friends about it. I ordered a set lunch which comprised of mushroom soup, beer battered fish and coke which cost only abt 8 bucks. I also ordered a brownie with ice cream which was 50% off today! It was delicious!Students...I highly recommend you this place but remember your student card or wear your uniform!

Sham said...

Went here yesterday , thanks to you Captain Sir!!!! wanted to try Aston but the queue there is unbelievable.

This place nothing special but yet satisfying. Seems like the whole family is helping out in there.

Not bad and i want my Aston!

Anonymous said...

Went there last night and the food did not disappoint. They appeared as seen on the pictures by Leslie.

Lamb shank, beer battered fish, soft shell crabs are all great items to try.

Like mentioned by fellow blog readers, it's indeed a nice cosy restaurant with family members helping out.

Helps that prices are nett, so you don't pay GST or service charge. Will definitely drop by for a second visit rather than commercialized outlets like Cafe Cartel.

benjamin yeo said...

Just a little to all...

Oliv will begin a special Christmas menu.

It comprises of a 6-course meal which is made up of Soup, Salad, Sorbet, Main Course, Dessert and Wine.

Chef Kevin Heng has revealed to me some that the ingredients that go into these limited offer comprises of prime ingredients.

Here are just some information

Soup: Lobster Bisque
Salad: Scallop Salad
Sorbet: (not sure yet)
Main Course: 4 different choices of Sirloin, Cod, Turkey or Lamb

Dessert: Mud Pie (which has now become a permanant item in the desserts menu)

Wine : Red Wine.

All these is for one person and it costs $50 per pax.

For more information, go to Cafe Oliv and ask for a brochure of their upcoming Christmas menu

HJ100K said...

Nice blog. We're expats from America so appreciate being able to get reviews on various hawker center foods around where we live.

Went to Cafe Oliv today based on the review and comments. The service was very nice, but I'm sorry to say that my wife and I didn't care much for the mini-burgers. There was just something odd about the flavors that didn't jar right with us (maybe cuz we're Americans...?). Don't get us wrong, we love Chinese food, Japanese food and of course, love burgers. But my wife couldn't finish the teriyaki fish burger (too slimy) and was grossed out by the Kong Bak burger (too much fat for her). The beef burger was so-so. I liked the fries, but for $15, the platter just wasn't worth it. Btw, my son got the fish and chips and it was slightly undercooked and way too oily. I'd rate the place 2/5 stars. We'll try Astons next!

sumosumo said...

hj100 - i guess kong bak is a taste which the asian palate is used to.... fatty pork has traditionally been part of asian cooking, particularly the Chinese...

if you like fois gras, i guess you can grow to love kong bak... =)

eat on!

Post a Comment