Sunday, July 22, 2007

Grains: Shiok and Healthy Restaurant Food at Cze Char Prices!


Grains 8 Treasure Tea Health Tea $5++

The words healthy and shiok seldom go together. Not in the context of Singapore Cuisine anyway. So when my friend, PowerAunty arranged for me to review this restaurant, I was expecting this blog to go under my "Healthier Stuff" label. But boy was I mistaken. I was unexpectedly delighted that the healthier stuff like the Fried Brown Rice was actually quite good, but even more delighted that they actually have a few less healthy stuff here that is quite shiok!

Guys, do you know what that means? It means that you can bring your pre-girlfriend, steady girlfriend, fiancee or wife here and they can enjoy the "healthier stuff" while you order some of the shiok shiok stuff!


Chicken & Ginseng Clear Broth in Yunnan Steam Pot $5++

The most surprising thing about the Chicken & Ginseng Soup is that it is only $5 which is only slightly more expensive than your food court steam soup. The Broth was excellent and the Ginseng, being a stimulant, will definitely give you a bit of pick up for a lazy afternoon. Incidentally, Ginseng can potentially raise blood pressure, so you should avoid this if you are suffer from hypertension. 4/5

I could not resist ordering the Tiger Beer Stewed Duck! (Pic right) See guys, I told you this is the place to bring your lady friends right? I never had Tiger Beer Soup before, so I just had to see what this is all about. The taste is so alien that I can't really decide if I like it or not. There is just no frame of reference. It does not taste like Tiger Beer, neither does it taste like Duck. I think this may be one of those tastes that grows on you after a while. Anyway, worth trying just so I can tell you I had it. 3.5/5



Spinach Tofu w Shimeiji Mushroom $ Dried Scallop $8++

They make their own tofu here daily from organic soy beans, so the quality and taste of this Spinach Tofu with Shimeiji Mushroom is excellent. The addition of spinach on top of the tofu gave it a bit of fibre as well as making it more attractive. The combination of the XO sauce with shredded scallop combined with the deep fried tofu skin had that extra something that resonated well with my taste buds. 4.5/5


Crispy Sea Perch $12

This has got to be my best fish discovery of the year. I am a guy who orders fish only when I feel that I need to lower my cholesterol levels. But I am raving about this one. The Sea Perch was excellent and I would go as far to say that I would trade a Sirloin Steak for it. (But not a Wagyu Ribeye!) The flesh was smooth, delicate and very tasty, very much like Black Cod but a bit lighter. For $12 you get quite a descent sized piece of fish and it is much better value for money then having the usual Cream Dory Fish and Chips at a restaurant. The reaction from everyone on the table was the typical Singaporean furrowing of the eyebrows, pursing of the lips and shaking of the head denoting "Phwa, how can something so good be so cheap?". The taste of the Sea Perch is so good, it really doesn't matter how you cook it. We also had the steamed version with Mushroom Sauce and the taste of the fish was just as distinctively delightful. Excellent and such good value that I am even bringing my in-laws here! (Joking lah! I love my in-laws) 4.75/5


Crispy Golden Prawn with Salted Egg $12

The Crispy Golden Prawn with Salted Egg was also another of those dishes that we are going to order again when we bring our families back to eat. Don't kid yourself, there is no way this can be healthy for you, but you can just imagine just how savoury, creamed salted eggs can taste with crispy battered prawns can't you? 4/5

Grains is set up more like a "Kitchen" than a full fledged restaurant. Most of the tables are arranged for 4 persons though they do have a few large round tables to cater for family dinners. The good thing about this is that you get nice portions for 2 people which is excellent for a business lunch. Most of the dishes here are costs up to $12 although they do have a handful of special items like the Shark's Fin Soup which costs $30.

Most of the Dim Sum items here cost $3.50 to $4. We tried the Fresh Scallop with Mashed Yam Dumplings here which was excellent. The yam was smooth and what really delighted us was that beneath the scallop was a filling made from pork and mushrooms. It was like a Wu Kok with scallops. 4.5/5




BBQ Duck and Soya Sauce Chicken Combination

The head chef here is a Hong Konger so you can expect the BBQ duck and Soy Sauce Chicken to be of a certain standard. I especially liked the soy sauce chicken here. They use Sakura Chicken which the manager, Terrence tells me is a "Chicken that is bred with a Japanese techniques in Malaysia". The flesh was succulent and tasty and it was heavenly with the ginger and shallot dip. 4.5/5

Now before I get your expectations too high, let me just say that there were two items that were really not quite up to standard that day. Both were deep fried items which were over-fried such that the meat was dry. The Pork Ribs with Champagne and Roast Chicken with Grains sauce were too dry although the sauces were great. Might be a case of oversight that day.

Conclusion

This is one of those restaurants that I walk away wanting to come back because there are certain items I want my family to try and it is easy on the wallet at the same time.

There is just one more gem that I need to let you know about and it is the Organic Soy Bean Milk. This is the best Soy Bean Milk I have tasted. It's thick and rich and its one Soy Bean drink with enough kick. Don't gulp it all down, sip it slowly and savor the rich nutty taste of the Soy Bean. If all the other Soy Milk are Long Blacks, this would be an Expresso!

Grains
CENTRAL
6 Eu Tong Sen Street
#02-92
65347707
http://www.grains.com.sg/


Disclosure: PowerAunty made the arrangements with the manager to review the restaurant. The food was provided free of charge.

20 comments:

Ah yoke said...

I was there last Thursday, the place is not too crowded ... didnt know that food was good though it is under the Yun Nan group.

I will give it a try next week. Thanks!

zhouzi said...

Almost wanted to go there until I read the disclosure. I would prefer to read your blog on eating places that you go to incognito and food that you pay for. There is always this niggling doubt about the writeup (bias). Sorry ieat, poweraunty, no offense meant.

sh said...

ieat, may i know what your rating is for the fried brown rice?
my mom is a brown rice fan :)

thanks

ieat said...

zhouzi,

If the food is no good it does not get included into this blog even if the food is provided free. That is what I tell all the people who invite me to review their food. I have pics of many places that are not on the blog!

Secondly, if the food is not good, the review would not have been so enthusiastic. I just won't have it in me to rave about it. Honesty is the best policy and I try my very best to give my most honest opinion on the food. There were five of us eating that day so the review takes into consideration what the others say also.

It won't be fair to avoid them just because I happened to be invited to eat there. If I had eaten the Sea Perch incognito, I would still have said the same thing. The first time PowerAunty ate there was incognito and she found the food so good and such good value that she asked me to go do a review the next week. So if the food is no good, I don't think she would even want to eat there so soon or ever. She did not know the manager before and only met him when she first went there. PowerAunt is like my mum. Very chatty, enthusiastic and makes friends very quickly. That was how she managed to arrange for the review session the next week!

sh,

The brown rice would have been a 4/5. Plus XO tou ban jiang it becomes 4.25/5.

Hope to read your comments about the place soon!

sh said...

thanks ieat !

Anonymous said...

Yup, the place is definitely not a full fledged Chinese restaurant - they do not have those typical 'Chinese-looking' entrance, and certainly no waitress (with cheong-sum) to bring you to your seat.

Those dishes you featured sure brought back 'yummolicious memories'!

I would say Grains will appeal to the late-teens to the 40s, but probably not to the big bosses and for business lunches.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Yup, the place is definitely not a full fledged Chinese restaurant - they do not have those typical 'Chinese-looking' entrance, and certainly no waitress (with cheong-sum) to bring you to your seat.

Those dishes you featured sure brought back 'yummolicious memories'!

I would say Grains will appeal to the late-teens to the 40s, but probably not to the big bosses and for business lunches.

Dan

Damien said...

Had the sea perch, tofu, brown rice and stir fried scallops two months back.

Good, healthy food at great prices.

It's suprising they're quiet on most nights though...

Tough competition when Tung Lok's Signature is just a few doors away.

liveyrdream said...

ieat,
thanks for blogging about this place. Looks delicious, healthy and interesting! Will check it out soon!

Actually, I think The Central really do have quite a handful of nice and interesting eating places/cafes/kiosk and some "new kid on the block" which are worth checking out. However, unfornately, it's still not really drawing the big crowd in as yet... ( as far as I see it since it seems "quiet" every time I go there)

I really hope these businesses will draw in more crowd as time goes by ... otherwise, we might not get to eat their food anymore if things don't pick up for them because high shopping mall rentals=high overheads always seem to "kill" new players...

Anonymous said...

zhouzi,

The grains fried rice was really good with lots of ingredients. Tofu was excellent with different texture.Manager Terence was , very friendly I got to know him while having dinner with some friends and he came to ask us to comment on his food that when I suggested that I get Leslie to do a review because I felt that his quality of food is good and more people should get to know of it. So why do you go and have a try before writing this place off. I am sur eyou will enjoy the food.

Power Aunty

smart said...

Dear Zhouzi, Pls go and check the food yr self first before you commend. Why dont you join us on our food tasting and you will know whatever we reviewed is our honest opnion.As for Grains I cant say anything as I have not try the food.

zhouzi said...

ieat, poweraunty and smart

Appreciate your comments. Apology for implying the writeup is not honest, that is not my intention. The bias I am talking about is that maybe Grains' kitchen paid especial attention to the food on this occasion.
Tried to rally some makankakis today to visit but none available. Will try to visit asap.

smart said...

Dear Zhouzi, No I dont think you are saying that the review is not honest. What we are always afraid of is that if the owner knows that we are blogging, then he may pay more attention and add more ingredients. However it is better to try the food yrself and we hope that you write yr comment good or bad so that we can share with our readers.

jeanniejean said...

Cool! Will definitely give it a try...After your Raves, not sure if Advance Reservations needed anot...hmmmm
Also have not tried the "Black Pig" Sukiyaki @ Central, you recommended previously...Now this one is also at Central...somehow dun really like going to Central. Parking always full esp. on weekends, Merchant Court's Guests parking there i suppose..and the other parking areas near Boat Quay always Packed...Arghhhhhh

arthur said...

hey...
Went to tried out the dishes with some friends. Somehow it wasn't crowded on a wkend. We all like the taste of the food, yunnan steampot soup (not too salty, oily). Brown rice is nice too. we had the set meal, and we could change the dishes in the set dinner too(subject to topping up the difference in dish prices). The roast chicken was nice but not the char siew (it somewhat lost the tenderness). However, we find that (1 waitress) gave us the rude look when we asked her to find out how much we have to top up if we change some dishes in the set dinner. She even asked me twice am I sure that I am ordering the set meal! and to top it up, she gave the rude look while walking away. coz my friends noticed it!
I will visit again to try other place.
-sorry for long posting- :)

ber said...

tried it last sunday at 6pm. not really crowded but service was very slow. took a long time for the food to arrive n even missed 2 of our orders even though we have asked them to check with the kitchen. when the crowd comes in, its still 2 waiters n 2 managers managing the place and it takes a long time for the bill to come. Food is not bad but a bit on the oily side. They have been operating for a few months and will know how's the crowd like on a weekend and yet they are understaffed. Recently have a bad experience with service at the Yunnan restaurant at NTU club. Now with Grains, I have a very bad impression of service given by the Yunnan group.

Jeffrey said...

Decided to give this restaurant a try since its suppose to have great food at cze char prices... Gotta say I left the place disappointed. As ber commented, the service was slow and they missed out on some of my orders, but when the bill came, they actually included stuff which I didn't order... And although the price looks cheap, it actually isn't as the portions are small. The food did taste good though, too bad for the poor service and slightly expensive prices.

Al ong said...

Heya Al Ong here so sorry to inform you that i was there about last week. I asked the waitress and apparently they no longer serve DimSum for lunch anymore. Spend about..$130 dollars there...some dishes have also disappeared too....The deep fried perch for example... and the spinach tofu they have tweaked the recipe alittle. But luckily, my parents and aunt and uncle still found the food above average. So alls well i guess...Thanks for recommending!! I can't wait to try one of those super burgers!!.

Anonymous said...

I read about these comments that are ages old before I went to the CFJ Grains (Now it is owned by CFJ). I said ages old as you know eateries come and go or revamped pretty fast.

A quick update for the benefit of readers, we ordered on a Sat afternoon (2+pm) ala carte items, as the 1-for-1 buffet must have been cooked few hours ago since it was past lunch time and there were not that many items.

The spinach tofu is not bad, as what everyone is saying, I'm not sure if the recipe changed though. It is now understandably much more expensive ($12.80) since we all know soy prices have soared. The Steamed Sea Perch ($16.80) is quite good but we find the sauce a little on the salty side, and the portion is much much smaller than what I expected:(

We also ordered E-Fu Noodles ($11.80) which is very much on the salty side, much to our displeasure, as we do not like very salty food. It is too "wet" in my opinion. Not up to the hotel standard.

I was wondering why it is touted as a "healthy" eating place? Didn't understand maybe because we did not order any "herbal" soup. And some of the food was so salty, I thought "less salt" is one of the slogans in the healthy eating campaign? Then it dawned upon me. I think it is touted "healthy" because the portions are small! It is healthier to eat only 60% to 70% full! hahaha!

ieat said...

Haven't been to grains for a while now. Thanks for updating us!

Post a Comment