Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Soon Heng Silver Stream Rojak: Two bucks and they still include cuttlefish!


I find rojak to be the most difficult hawker food to take pictures of. It's well......it's rojak. It isn't colourful and very messy and I always find it difficult to take an appetizing picture. If you look at my rojak photos, I think you would agree that they are pretty hum drum.

Anyway this rojak was recommended by many readers from the last rojak post disputing my claim that Lau Hong Ser was the pre-eminent rojak in Singapore. Ok, so I had to taste it for myself.

I was a bit apprehensive when I found out that they toast their You Char Kway in an ovenette and use commercially procured ground peanuts. How can they compete against my other rojak entries most of whom toast their YCK over charcoal and grind their own peanuts? Can this rojak be even on par with the others, let alone be superior?

Well, I did find that it was a very nice plate of rojak. The balance between sweet and sour was perfect and the Hae Gor (Prawn Paste) was very good. But I found the peanuts a little dry though they were generous with it. It just did not meet up to the standard of peanuts which are fried and ground daily by the hawkers themselves. For $2, this was a generous plate of rojak which included cuttlefish as well. 4.25/5

Conclusion

Very good rojak and very good value for money. The peanuts are the major stumbling block preventing it from being the undisputed rojak champion.

Soon Heng Silver Stream Rojak
480 Toa Payoh Central
HDB Hub B1-23
11am to 8pm

13 comments:

ah yoke said...

This rojak is really very good. You can never find S$2 rojak with cuttlefish ... Must try!

ryozan said...

hi ieat! i'm a real big fan of yours, and have a foodie place to tell you about! not sure if you've tried victor's kitchen dim sum before... couldn't find it among your blog archives...

anyway, stumbled upon it today while at sunshine plaza... IT WAS AWESOME! my bf and i randomly chose 3 dishes as a snack, the har kow (not the one with parsley), you tiao wrapped with chee cheong fun skin, and fried wanton.... all were lipsmacking delicious! the guy who runs the place is really nice and friendly too! =D

TAG said...

Hi roysan,

How could Victor's Kitchen go under the radar for ieatnitreat, if you loook under the right side banner heading of "LOOKING FOR SOMETHING?" scroll downwards under the topic for dim sum you would find the writeup on it. Anyway to make things easy, here's the url,

http://ieatishootipost.blogspot.com/search/label/Dim%20Sum

review done on 16 feb 07 should you be looking for archives. Hope this helps.

TAG

ryozan said...

thanks for the info TAG! the food there is really too shiok, planning to bring my parents there next week and savour the other treats that Ieat recommended! hur hur hur...

Mr. Anonymous said...

Thanks, I was looking for this store around TPY and could not find it.

Wenn said...

YES!!me also voted this rojak the best!!
hee...yummy!!!


as also near to my house area..

weightwatcher said...

Used to patronise this stall often when they were operating out of a small stall in the coffeshop. They now occupies 2 stalls in the foodcourt. Biz has prospered. I don't know, is it the bags of fty procured peanuts lining the countertop or the stall assistant who's pre-cutting the cucumber,turnips,etc? Just dun seemed to taste as good as before.

meefe said...

the rojak here is really good...best i ever eaten...but a lil too sweet though :p

Dawn said...

My dad is a diabetic, but he loves rojak...So once in a while when I get him rojak, I asked for no sugar and pineapple to be added.
It tasted really really good!!
Go try it!!

Mr. Anonymous said...

There are two stalls in the food court both with the same name. Are both the same? One has a long queue even at 4pm while the other one is quiet.

taukwa said...

tried the rojak today. Had a $3 plate.

The rojak was covered (more like smothered) with peanuts. I have not seen another place putting so much peanuts into their rojak. They grilled the yu char kway before adding to the mixing bowl. Nice warm feel.

My only complaint was that perhaps too much sugar was used. There was a point of time when I was savouring the rojak that I thought i was eating Muay Chee.

I did not find another stall with the same name but I did noticed that the stall unit number is 25. i think the foodcourt was newly renovated.

stormwhistle said...

Went to this stall, I was intending to try their Rojak, however I changed my mind.

I can see their rojak stall is experiencing briskly business, when I tried to order their rojak the stall owner was very arrogant and scolded "WAIT FOR 30 MINs"!!!! my colleague did told me about their infamous attitude and today I have experience it personally myself. By the way this is only my personal opinion, I hope Soon Heng stallowner will take this feedback seriously if they want to continue to be a premium Rojak provider.

i-link said...

Peanuts covering the whole plate is i always know abt this rojak. I believe they are already famous when they are still at the old "goreng pisang" coffeeshop in tpy central, those living there long enough will know where im saying. Recommended!

Post a Comment