Monday, July 16, 2007

Lao Fu Zi Fried Kway Teow: Remember the old comic strip?



I wonder how many Gen Y readers know who Lao Fu Zi is? I haven't come across a Lao Fu Zi comic strip for years, so I don't know if they are still as popular today. When I was a kid, reading Lao Fu Zi was a matter of looking at the pictures and trying to make out the meaning since I could not read the Chinese script. I don't think much has changed if I were to pick up a Lao Fu Zi comic nowadays. In fact, I am having trouble even helping my son with his primary 2 chinese composition. My Lao Shi's would be very disappointed with me.

This is one of the more popular stalls in the newly revamped food centre which I missed in my last series, so it is time to add it into the blog.

Unfortunately the stall does not normally fry the CKT with lard unless you specially request. So our first plate of CKT was not that great. It was still quite flavoursome, but it lacked the oooomph of a well fried CKT. Not giving up, I went back to request that they try another "No holds barred" CKT using whatever it takes to make it the best plate of CKT on the earth. The result: A good plate of Char Kway Teow, but still not quite up to our expectations. 4/5

Conclusion

Good plate of Char Kway Teow. The queue is quite long, so there are many fans of it. However, the plate we had that day just failed to hit the sweet spot for us.


Lao Fu Zi Fried Kway Teow
Old Airport Road Food Centre
#01-12

9 comments:

haPPy889 said...

What I have noticed is the quality can be inconsistent depending on who is doing the cooking. Seems like the boss doesn't do much cooking any more or at least the times when I've patronised them.

Damien said...

Overrated and inconsistent.

Used to be good when they first started out but the standard dropped after the boss task his assistant to fry the CKT.

Camemberu said...

Yes, I old enuf to remember the comics (the Chinese script of which I also could barely read).

Sad to hear this CKT cannot maintain standard. I think I tried it about 4-5 years ago, was OK but just not that "die-die-must-come-back" memorable.

pickles said...

I just went to the Old Airport Road hawker centre on Saturday. Tried the Lao Fu Zi char kway teow. I didn't quite like it because it was too dry and didn't give me that oomph. Rather disappointing and overrated, I think.

There are two other stalls of CKT that I like. Maybe you would like to give them a try. One is at Whitesands Shopping Centre at Pasir Ris. The stall is at the 3rd floor food court and it sells CKT and fried hokkien mee. Both are equally good.

Another CKT stall is over at the Downtown East food court.

Sorry I don't know the names of the stalls because I usually go there and whack the food only.

khim said...

tried it yesterday but think it's nothing to rave abt lei.. had tasted much better ones..

flo said...

There is another CKT stall near Blanco Court Kway Chap called Dong Ji at old airport road FC. It is much better than Lao Fu Zi, which I gave thumbs down immediately when I tasted it five years ago. Dong Ji only operates in the afternoon. Highly Recommended if you are CKT fan.

entertainer said...

forget about this CKT. Was there justnow and was totally disappointed. It is just eatable. Nothing to wow over.

give me hill street anytime.

iFatfat said...

Tried this sometime back... so-so only. I can't remember how much it was, but I remembered that I ordered the cheapest (I think it was $3) and was disappointed that there were no "see-harms" at all... maybe just had a slice or 2 of lup-cheong...

ilovetoeat said...

Tried it once, and not quite living up to its reputation, queue is long and slows slowly, CKT fans i recommend the stall opposite this, Lucky cook food, fast and nice..

Post a Comment