Friday, July 13, 2007

Loong Fatt: And the First Shall be the Last...



In my last post on the Tau Sar Piah, I gave a brief history of how the Tau Sar Piah came about. So this blog would not be complete if it does not feature the shop from which this Singaporean Confectionery actually first made its appearance. Yes, it was here that the Tau Sar Piah craze started and gained momentum resulting in several shops sprouting up along the Balestier area cashing in on the craze. When the dust finally settled, the one left with the task of blowing the smoke from the gun barrel is Loong Fatt.

Business is still very good in the venerable old shophouse which sells other cakes and confectioneries as well. But it is the Tau Sar Piah that is still the star of the coffeeshop.

Freshly baked Tau Sar Piah with a cup of Kopi or Teh must be one of those unique Singaporean pleasures that you are not going to find anywhere else in the world.

The crust is fragrant albeit a little oily, crisp and savoury. Great with that hot cup of Teh Tarik! 4/5

Conclusion

Its survival of the fittest and this stall obviously has a big fan base to keep them going.

Loong Fatt Eating House & Confectionery
No. 639 Balestier Road
S(329922)

el: 62534584

13 comments:

liverpool1965 said...

wifey doesn't fancy tsps...so I have to finish all 10 in a box...lucky me : )...my fav stall...

Anonymous said...

hi.this is kinda random,but may i know the brand of camera you used in taking those gorgeous shots? thanks. :)

yg said...

competition is good for the trade. i remember decades ago when i went to loong fatt with a colleague and his nephew. they had a cap on the number of boxes each person could buy. the manly woman who was handling sales refused to accept our count of 3 persons because my colleague's nephew was just a boy. another time, i went to the shop at 3pm and the same woman laughed at me, saying: you expect to get tau sar piah at this time. these days, i buy my tau sar piahs from the other shops.

ieat said...

Ah a FAQ! Check the FAQs
http://ieatishootipost.blogspot.com/search/label/1%20FAQs

Jon said...

Why is it that almost all of the places featured are in the east?

hmph said...

Loong Fatt is pretty central.

Bashful Hunter said...

Thanks for the reminder on Tau Sar Piah. This one is vrey nice.

Co-incidentally, my wife was asking that we go there to buy some over the weekend. Unfortunately, ran out of time. Will try to go this weekend.

liverpool1965 said...

eh since you are going there...can tong pang tar pao one box? : )

Damien said...

Can also help me tong pang 1 box too :)

Alicia said...

Ah. . .I grew up eating loong fatt tau sau piah. My folks introduced them to me when I was a kid and they only eat loong fatt. I used to eat 2 and 3 at a go but haven't had any in recent times as I'm alot more health conscious now and it's very heaty. Have to watch the throat in my profession. :P

Ayrah said...

I actually prefer the Cantonese version. My favourite is ham tau sar from Tong Heng. Yep, its the salty stuff for me! Btw, is Loong Fatt the same store which had a booth at Takashimaya's recent food fair? If that's it then I solemnly swear that Tong Heng's tar sar beng is MUCH better. To begin with, the crust is not as dry and the filling is far more fragrant. Hehe maybe its due to the pork oil in it... Anyway, you have to try Tong Heng! Its in a shophouse in Chinatown, right across the road from the new Buddha Tooth Relic Temple.

Anonymous said...

To Ayrah, Loong Fatt has no other branches and they do not use any lard in their TSP.

singaporeshortstories.blogspot.com said...

I had the great opportunity to try these tau sar piah (Loong Fatt) i mean, and these really taste so much nicer and different from others I have ever eaten! The skin is so crispy and fine! and the filling yummy!

Post a Comment