Monday, January 8, 2007

Outram Char Kway Teow: Hong Lim Food Centre 6 of 7

With smart, damien, liverpool and iwatch_ueat


This is one of those stalls that have been hotly debated in the forums. It is famous and because it is famous there are high expectations. Quite a few people who have tried it recently still hanker about its heydays and lament on how the standards have dropped.

I had to try it for myself since there is so much controversy over this. I must admit that my first impression was not good because the CKT was not very attractive to look at. All the ingredients were of the same brown colour and even the cockles were not bright red in colour.

But hey, it actually tasted quite good. I would say better then your unknown neighbourhood food centre CKT. The Kway Teow was quite lively and coated with a savoury sweet sauce which I quite like. 4/5

Conclusion

I imagine it must have been really shiok in the past. But even now it's still quite an enjoyable plate of CKT, though not enjoyable enough for me to go all the way down to Hong Lim for a plate.

Outram Park Char Kway Teow
Hong Lim Food Centre

#02-18

7am to 4.30pm

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The son seems to be the one doing the cooking now. Its now sweeter and more wet. I still prefer the father's cooking.

liverpool1965 said...

Yes sweeter and more wet...they seem to give less cockles now...

Damien said...

Too much garlic and the ingredients are seriously lacking.

Vitis Vinifera said...

I think what makes the CKT taste good is minced pork lard........

Jes said...

hmmm.... just eaten. Its style is wet kind, just to my liking but.. i felt that it will taste better if cooked longer and with more eggs added..as the gravy is not yet the thick enuff type with. Btw, it closes at 3.30pm not 4.30pm :P

Anonymous said...

I love this Store fried Kway Teow. it is very Yammy....... Try it if you have not.....
If you want to have Big Order for Pack bag Call before you go it is more time saving....
Phone for this: 9838 7619
Cheers
Kway Teow Lover....

Anonymous said...

I love this Store fried Kway Teow. it is very Yammy....... Try it if you have not.....
If you want to have Big Order for Pack back or piggy bag,
Call before you go it is more time saving....
Phone for this: 9838 7619
Cheers
Kway Teow Lover....

Post a Comment