Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Penang Delights: Authentic Penang Fare! Geylang East Central Part 6 of 6

With liverpool, smart, iwatch_ueat and tamago


The last time I was in Penang was almost 30 years ago and the last time I ate Penang food was around that time too. Oh yes, everyone says that Penang food is so great, but the problem is you can't get great Penang readily in Singapore (so they say). So as a result Penang food has never been on my radar screen. Luckily for me, Liverpool and his wife are big fans, so they provided some expertise to the review of the food here.

Penang Assam Laksa is very different from Singapore Laksa. It is sourish and a lot of the taste is derived from the Kembong Fish (Small fish akin to the Selar). Liverpool remarked that he usually finds Penang Laksa too sourish but this one is well balanced. Certainly, the spicy, fishy, sourish soup is an acquired taste. If you are a Penang Laksa Afficianado, please give this a try and let us know what you think! 4/5



Penang Char Kway Teow, like the Singapore version is a very simple dish where Kway Teow is flash fried with lard and some soy sauce/fish sauce. A lot depends on the skill of the hawker who needs to control the wok fire to get the perfect texture for the Kway Teow. I felt this stall managed to do it quite well. The Kway Teow came out soft and slippery which enough burnt bits, fish sauce and pork lard to flavour it. 4/5



Conclusion

Quite authentic according to our Penang Food expert. Good enough for him to bring his wife back to taste it.

Authentic Penang Hawker Food
Geylang East Food Centre

Blk 117 Aljunied Ave 2
#01-60
Lucy Tan 97330658

Closed on Monday (except Pub Holidays)

11 comments:

my name is name said...

You always say wok hei. can i ask you, what exactly does it mean?

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I was originally from Penang (last lived there 25 years ago), and great Penang food is difficult to find here. Here are a few other Penang places to try.

1. Penang Place
6 International Business Park
#01-05, The Atrium
Singapore 609918

Operating hour: Mon - Sat
Lunch: 11.30am-2.00pm
Dinner: 6.30pm-9.00pm

Fairly authentic. Buffet available, but a la carte gets the best taste.

2. Penang Penang, row of shophouses next to Coronation Plaza. This is next door to Thai Noodle House, which is also worth trying.

Cheers,
Pchong (also signed off in other feedback as Pete, pchong)

ieat said...

Wok Hei or Breath of Wok is that smoky flavour that the wok imparts to the food especially when there is "flambe" When you eat a good hor fun, the kway teow if fried properly has a Wok Hei flavour that is irresistable. Mmmmmmmmmm

P.D said...

I love the Penang Char Kway Teow, right control of the fire. Thats one of the best i ever eaten. However, my mum felt that laksa was a let down, lacks the oomph of sourish which suppose to be in penang laksa. And i'm Glad that you're a christian :) Luv Hillsongs too.

-Pd

chocfudgesundae said...

My first time leaving a comment since stumbling upon your blog last week. I love the revies btw! :)

And I'm so happy you've found this Penang Assam Laksa place because after trying it once in, Malacca (ironically not in Penang), I fell in love with that dish. Looking forward to trying out your recommendation!

liverpool1965 said...

Most of the Penang Laksa here too sourish for my liking : )...it hides the rest of the flavours...with the one here, I can taste what goes into the laksa...nice nice...

Anonymous said...

Went to try the Penang Delights last night and was very very disappointed.

Ordered the char kway teow and the hokkien mee.

the kway teow was lumpy and oily.

the hokkien mee was tasteless.

Abby said...

I tried the Penang laksa at Penang delights today! I must say that it exceeded my expectations and I'm going back tomorrow!Love the sourish taste and the kembong fish! Will ask for more mint and vegetables tomorrow. :)

huangsy said...

The stall has moved to the 1st aisle from the other side of the same hawker centre. The old sign board is still in use but with tape covering the old unit number of #01-60.

Ron Jun/Megan said...

I tried this shop before and I like it...last time use to eat Penang Laksa at City Plaza, but so far I find this geylang east shop is the best!

mingpei said...

i am craving for Penang Laksa now! is this stall still open for business?

Post a Comment